Artichoke & Roasted Tomato Orzo, “Risotto Style”2018-03-16
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Traditional Italian, Type: Entrée, Side, Product Line: Barilla® Traditional Semolina
Chef Jonathan “JB” Bennett’s Artichoke and Roasted Tomato Orzo, “Risotto Style” is reminiscent of a drive down the central California coast in the summer, when the tomatoes and artichokes are at their peak. He takes the familiar Italian classic method for cooking Arborio rice, and uses Barilla Orzo pasta.
Roast halved tomatoes in 375ºF convection oven, drizzled with olive oil on parchment lined sheet pans until most moisture is evaporated and skins are wrinkled.
1. Heat oil in large rondeau on medium-high heat. Fry artichokes and baby onions 5-7 min. or until artichokes begin to brown and crisp. Drain artichokes and onions on racks; season with salt.
Add garlic, basil, pepper and chiles to remaining oil in pot; cook 1-2 min. on medium heat until fragrant. Add tomatoes; toss to combine. Strain mixture, reserving seasoned oil.
Meanwhile, combine milk, stock and salt in pot on medium heat until simmering.
Heat 3/4 cup seasoned oil in large rondeau on medium-high heat. Add orzo; toast 2-3 min., or until pasta begins to brown. Stir in 2-1/2 quarts milk mixture; reduce heat low. Cook 7 to 8 min., or until most of the liquid is absorbed by the pasta, stirring frequently. Add remaining milk mixture to pot; cook 2-3 min., or until pasta is creamy and al dente.
Stir in cheese and 3 quarts fried artichoke mixture. Garnish with the remaining artichoke before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 6 pounds baby artichokes, cleaned, quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds Cipollini onions, peeled, halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup garlic cloves, sliced
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil chiffonade
- 3/4 cup ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chile flakes
- 6 pounds assorted baby tomatoes, halved, oven roasted
- 7 1/2 cups whole milk
- 7 1/2 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 pounds Barilla Orzo
- 1 1/2 pounds grated pecorino sardo, or other semi-firm cheese
Chef Recommended Cuts
Barilla® Chickpea Rotini with Arugula, Sweet Tomatoes, Wheat Berries, Red Quinoa, Farro, Creamy Cilantro Ginger Dressing, and Crunchy Wild Rice
Barilla® Red Lentil Penne with Warm Eggplant Caponata, Pine Nuts and Mint
Lamb Ragout with Berbere
Barilla® Gluten Free Rotini with a Charred Green Onion Pesto, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Dried Cherries
Plus Penne with Savory Tomato Sauce, Creamy Ricotta, Calabrian Chili Oil and Toasted Bread Crumbs
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.