Breakfast Fideo with Trumpet Mushrooms and Poached Egg2017-07-24
- Cuisine: American, Southwest, Type: Baked, Entrée, Product Line: Barilla® Traditional Semolina, Barilla® Whole Grain
Try this savory breakfast fideo, as served at the 2017 Greystone Flavor Summit leadership conference. Broken angel hair pasta cooks in chipotle tomato sauce until tender. For a vegan take on this Tex-Mex classic, omit the egg and dairy.
Working in batches, heat canola oil in a skillet and cook some of the pasta, stirring until it is browned and toasted. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels.
In a clean pan, heat oil and saute the mushrooms until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chard. Cook until wilted. Stir in the minced garlic and stir until aromatic. Remove from the heat.
Puree together the chipotles, garlic cloves, tomatoes with juice, and onion until smooth. In a clean pan, cook a portion of the puree until it forms a paste, then stir in a bit more puree. Repeat until you have a rich, thick fond.
Whisk in the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the toasteed noodles and vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Spread in an oiled hotel pan in an even layer. Cover and bake at 350 degreees, until the sauce is absorbed.
For each serving: Scoop out a portion of fideo and top it with a warm poached egg and some avocado. Sprinkle with cotija and a dollop of yogurt, then a sprinkling of cilantro.
- Canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. Barilla Whole Grain Angel Hair, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 6 cups 1-inch pieces Royal Trumpet mushrooms
- 6 cups 1-inch pieces chard
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 12 canned chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 12 cloves garlic
- 2.8 lb. canned tomatoes with juice, crushed
- 3 cups roughly chopped white onion
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 ripe avocados, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 24 eggs, poached
- 6 Tbsp. minced cilantro
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Angel Hair
- Whole Grain Angel Hair
- Whole Grain Thin Spagheti
This information is per serving.