Bucatini ala Calabrese2018-01-05
The fiery & flavorful combination of chiles, Nduja and pepperoni make this simple sauce a perfect pairing with hearty bucatini pasta.
- Nduja is a fiery spreadable fermented Calabrian pork sausage made with salumi, hot peppers and spices.
- Try stirring in 4 cups coarsely chopped hearty greens such as kale, broccoli raab or turnip greens with the tomatoes to add great color and nutrition to the dish.
Bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook 2 min. less than directed on package. Drain, reserving 1-1/2 cups pasta water.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large rondeau on medium heat. Add onions; sauté 3 to 4 min. or until transparent. Stir in pepperoni and pepper flakes; sauté 1-2 min. or until heated through.
Stir in garlic and Nduja; cook 2-4 min. stirring frequently until sausage is dissolved. Add tomatoes; cook 12-15 min. stirring occasionally.
Add cooked pasta to tomato mixture; toss vigorously with tongs to coat 2-3 min. or until combined adding reserved pasta water 1/2 cup at a time as needed. Season to taste with salt & freshly ground black pepper.
Combine panko, cheese and parsley in medium bowl. Sprinkle with panko mixture before serving.
- 3 lbs. Barilla® Collezione Bucatini
- 6 ounces extra virgin oil
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces diced pepperoni
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces Nduja, removed from casing
- 2 cans (28 ounces each), peeled Italian San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1-1/2 cups toasted panko bread crumbs
- 3 ounces grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
Chef Recommended Cuts
Barilla Red Lentil Rotini Pasta Salad with Sherry Vinegar and Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette
Veggie Penne Salad with Shrimp, Saffron and Paprika
ProteinPLUS® Penne with Spicy Lamb Ragout
Barilla Whole Grain Penne with Calabrian Chile Butter, Garlic, Cashew & Currant Crumble
Barilla Orecchiette with Schug Infused San Marzano Tomato & Eggplant Sauce
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.