Chickpea Rotini Pasta Salad with Watermelon, Asparagus & Feta2019-02-27
Juicy watermelon and cool mint simply dressed with a sweet-salty combination of flavors makes this pasta dish a perfect fit for summer menus.
1. Bring salted water to a boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook 1 min. less than directed on package. Drain; toss with ¼ cup olive oil, arrange pasta on sheet trays in single layer. Cover and refrigerate to cool.
2. Combine vinegar, mustard, honey and paprika in blender or work bowl of food processor. Slowly add remaining olive oil in a steady stream. Blend until mixture is thickened; season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Gently toss pasta, watermelon, dressing, mint and half of the cheese in large bowl until combined. Serve topped with remaining cheese.
Chef Notes: Try preparing this dish with any of the 4 varieties of Barilla® Legume Pasta - Red Lentil Penne, Red Lentil Rotini, Chickpea Rotini and Chickpea Casarecce.
Try substituting fresh lemon or lime juice for the sherry vinegar in the dressing to add bright citrus notes.
- 3 lbs Barilla Chickpea Rotini
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 6 tbsp dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp honey
- 1 gallon diced seedless watermelon
- 3 lbs bunches asparagus, trimmed, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 lbs crumbled feta cheese
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 3 cups loosely packed mint leaves, torn
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Chickpea Rotini
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.