Fried Mac & Cheese Balls2018-01-05
A comfort food classic turned into a delectable, cheesy bite with a hint of beer that is sure to be a game-day hit.
Heat butter in medium stockpot on medium heat until melted. Whisk in flour; cook 3 min. whisking constantly, until light golden brown. Reduce heat to low.
Slowly whisk in milk and ale, 1 cup at a time; whisk continuously until mixture is smooth and thickened. Add salt and spices; stir to combine.
Stir in shredded cheeses; slowly mix until melted and smooth. Remove pot from heat.
Add green chilies, pasta to pot; mix well and let mixture cool completely in covered hotel pans in cooler.
Once mixture is chilled, use a #30 scoop to form 24 balls. Push one cube of cheese into center of each ball; seal completely. Arrange on parchment lined sheet pan and freeze 20 min.
Place flour, eggs and panko crumbs in 3 separate bowls. Dredge balls in flour, dip into eggs, then coat completely with panko.
Fry balls in batches at 375 degrees F 5-7 min. or until crisp and golden brown. Serve with ranch dressing or warmed Barilla Marinara sauce for dipping.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1-1/2 quarts whole milk, scalded
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) amber ale
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic power
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces shredded Colby jack cheese
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 14 ounces canned chopped green chilies
- 2 pounds Barilla Elbows or Ditalini, cooked, cooled
- 12 ounces process American Swiss cheese, cubed into 24 pieces
- 4 cups seasoned flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6 cups panko bread crumbs
- Ranch dressing or Barilla Marinara