Harissa Pomodoro Spaghetti2018-01-05
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern, Type: Entrée, Product Line: Barilla White Fiber, Barilla® Traditional Semolina
On-trend harissa paste adds a smoky and spicy twist to this traditionally Italian tomato sauce. Harissa is a spicy, garlicky Tunisian smoked chile paste often added to couscous, meat and vegetable dishes. Substitute ProteinPLUS(R) Thin Spaghetti in this recipe for a good source of lean protein.
For the Harissa Pomodoro Sauce: Heat 1/2 cup oil in large stockpot on medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 to 2 min. or until softened. Stir in chili garlic sauce; sauté 1-2 min. or until fragrant.
Whisk in 1 cup basil and remaining sauce ingredients; cook 15-20 min. stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in reserved olive oil and basil. Cool, cover and refrigerate.
For the spaghetti: Meanwhile, bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook 2 min. less than directed on package. Drain.
Heat olive oil in large rondeau on medium-high heat. Add leeks; cook 2-3 min. or until translucent. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook 30 sec. or until fragrant.
Add tomatoes and zucchini; cook 2-3 min. until slightly softened. Add spinach, cheese and Sauce; cook 3-4 min. or until heated through and greens are wilted.
Add cooked pasta to vegetable mixture; toss vigorously with tongs to coat 2-3 min. or until combined.
Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- 1 cup extra virgin oil, divided
- 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sambal oelek Asian chile garlic sauce
- 2 cups finely chopped basil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vegetable base
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart mild harissa paste
- For the spaghettini:
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 9 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 3 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 large zucchini, halved, sliced
- 2 pounds baby spinach leaves
- 1 pound shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 quarts prepared Harissa Pomodoro Sauce
- 3 pounds Barilla® Thin Spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Thick Spaghetti
Gluten Free Spaghetti with Spinach-Parsley Pesto and Blistered Grape Tomatoes
Italian-Style Mac & Cheese with Roasted Butternut Squash
Orecchiette Pugliese with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
Penne with Tomato Basil Sauce, Roasted Squash and Parmigiano Reggiano
ProteinPLUS® Penne with Pesto, Charred Cauliflower and Crispy Bacon
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.