Red Lentil Penne with Vegetarian Meatballs & Spicy Tomato Sauce2019-02-27
These meatless “meatballs” are the perfect choice for a plant-based main dish.
1. Bring salted water to a boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Cook pasta as directed on package; drain.
2. Meanwhile, combine garlic, eggs, chickpeas, cheese, oregano and panko in food processor until smooth. Form mixture into balls using #110 scoop. Heat 1/3 cup oil in large rondeaux on medium heat. Working in batches, cook formed chickpea balls 3-4 min. until browned on all sides. Drain on rack lined with paper towels.
3. Add remaining oil, red pepper and onions to same pan; cook 2-3 minutes or until onions are softened. Add tomatoes; simmer and season sauce to taste. Add pasta and chickpea balls to tomato sauce; toss gently to combine. Serve with additional cheese.
Chef Notes: These chickpea balls can also be baked in a 400F oven for 15-20 min. lightly sprayed with olive oil on sheet pans until light golden brown.
- 3 lbs Barill Red Lentil Penne
- 6 cloves garlic
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 3 quarts San Marzano tomatoes, crushed
- 1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 large yellow onions, chopped
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Red Lentil Penne
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.