Thick Spaghetti with Lamb-Saffron Ragu and Pecorino Romano2018-03-21
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Traditional Italian, Type: Entrée, Product Line: Barilla® Collezione, Barilla® Traditional Semolina
Ground lamb adds a flavor boost to this traditional ragu.
Bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook 2 min. less than directed on package.
Heat oil in large rondeau on medium heat. Add onions; cook 5-7 min. or until translucent, stirring frequently.
Increase heat to high; add lamb. Cook 8-10 min. or until meat is rendered and browned. Deglaze pan with wine. Cook until most liquid is evaporated. Add tomatoes and water; coarsely break up tomatoes with potato masher. Bring sauce to a simmer; reduce heat to medium low.
Add saffron and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer mixture 10 min.
Add cooked pasta and cheese to sauce; toss to coat.
- 3 pounds Barilla Thick Spaghetti
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2-1/4 pounds ground lamb shoulder
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 3 cans (18 ounces) whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon saffron threads
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 12 ounces grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Thick Spaghetti
Barilla Red Lentil Rotini Pasta Salad with Sherry Vinegar and Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette
Veggie Penne Salad with Shrimp, Saffron and Paprika
ProteinPLUS® Penne with Spicy Lamb Ragout
Barilla Whole Grain Penne with Calabrian Chile Butter, Garlic, Cashew & Currant Crumble
Barilla Orecchiette with Schug Infused San Marzano Tomato & Eggplant Sauce
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.