Winter Italian Ramen2018-01-05
These ramen inspired noodles served in a veggie-packed flavorful broth is sure to become a cold-day favorite.
For the Broth:
Heat oil in large stockpot on low heat; add garlic, ginger and scallions. Cook 2-3 min., stirring frequently until fragrant.
Add mirin, miso paste, vinegar and soy sauce. Cook 1 min. to bring mixture up to a boil.
Stir in stock; reduce heat to low. Simmer 6 hrs., skimming scum from surface as needed. Cool; strain through fine mesh sieve. Cover and refrigerate.
For the Vegetables:
Heat oil in large stockpot on low heat; add vegetables. Cook 2-3 min. until vegetables are heated through; add half of the prepared Broth. Simmer 15-20 min. until vegetables are cooked through; keep warm.
For Ramen Noodles:
Meanwhile bring 3-3/4 gallons water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta, baking soda and salt; cook 3-4 min. or until al dente. Drain well.
Divide pasta between individual serving bowls. Bring remaining Broth in large stock pot on medium-high heat.
Arrange cooked vegetables over noodles in each bowl; add Toppings. Ladle hot Broth over each bowl before serving.
- For the broth:
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 36 garlic cloves, smashed
- 12 ounces ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 gallon + 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- For the vegetables:
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 pound red finger chiles, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 pound parsnips, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound leeks, white and green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound kale, washed, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
- For the noodles:
- 3 pounds Barilla Angel Hair
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup sea salt
- 1-1/2 pounds firm tofu, cubed
- 24 soft-poached eggs
- 1-1/2 cups scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup toasted bread crumbs