Artichoke & Roasted Tomato Orzo, “Risotto Style”2018-03-16
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Traditional Italian, Type: Entrée, Side, Product Line: Barilla® Traditional Semolina
Chef Jonathan “JB” Bennett’s Artichoke and Roasted Tomato Orzo, “Risotto Style” is reminiscent of a drive down the central California coast in the summer, when the tomatoes and artichokes are at their peak. He takes the familiar Italian classic method for cooking Arborio rice, and uses Barilla Orzo pasta.
Roast halved tomatoes in 375ºF convection oven, drizzled with olive oil on parchment lined sheet pans until most moisture is evaporated and skins are wrinkled.
1. Heat oil in large rondeau on medium-high heat. Fry artichokes and baby onions 5-7 min. or until artichokes begin to brown and crisp. Drain artichokes and onions on racks; season with salt.
Add garlic, basil, pepper and chiles to remaining oil in pot; cook 1-2 min. on medium heat until fragrant. Add tomatoes; toss to combine. Strain mixture, reserving seasoned oil.
Meanwhile, combine milk, stock and salt in pot on medium heat until simmering.
Heat 3/4 cup seasoned oil in large rondeau on medium-high heat. Add orzo; toast 2-3 min., or until pasta begins to brown. Stir in 2-1/2 quarts milk mixture; reduce heat low. Cook 7 to 8 min., or until most of the liquid is absorbed by the pasta, stirring frequently. Add remaining milk mixture to pot; cook 2-3 min., or until pasta is creamy and al dente.
Stir in cheese and 3 quarts fried artichoke mixture. Garnish with the remaining artichoke before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 6 pounds baby artichokes, cleaned, quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds Cipollini onions, peeled, halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup garlic cloves, sliced
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil chiffonade
- 3/4 cup ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chile flakes
- 6 pounds assorted baby tomatoes, halved, oven roasted
- 7 1/2 cups whole milk
- 7 1/2 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 pounds Barilla Orzo
- 1 1/2 pounds grated pecorino sardo, or other semi-firm cheese
Chef Recommended Cuts
Barilla Red Lentil Penne with Harissa and Coconut Cream Sauce
Leftover Pasta Frittata with Cauliflower Stems and Florets Topped with a Mini Calabrian Chili Panzanella Salad
Orecchiette with Sea Urchin, Fava Beans and Bay Scallops
Collezione Casarecce Pasta with Summer Peas, Crabmeat, ‘Nduja, and Pecorino
Collezione Rigatoni with Seared Cauliflower, Anchovy, Garlic
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.