Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with a Crunchy Breadcrumb Topping2020-07-10
Recipe created by Yury Krasilovsky.
1. In a large pot boil half the butternut squash until fully cooked, let cool, then process in a blender with enough cooking liquid to make a puree.
2. In a pre-heated 425°F oven roast the remaining butternut squash with olive oil until golden brown and fully cooked.
3. Meanwhile, in a large sauce pot sauté garlic in butter until slightly yellow in color. Add flour and make a roux, cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat. Add warm milk and bring to a simmer, let simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
4. Add butternut squash puree then remove from heat and add cheddar and smoked gouda slowly to incorporate.
5. In a bowl combine the panko and thyme then place into a large skillet with olive oil, toast for 5 minutes or until slightly browned.
6. Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain 1 minute under required cooking time and toss with the sauce.
7. Top with squash and bread crumbs.
- 3 # Barilla Elbows
- 6 Cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 1/2 Sticks butter
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 Cup flour
- 3 quarts 2% Milk
- 1 1/2 lb Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- Salt & white pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 Cups panko
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh thyme, chopped