Cajun Dirty Mac2020-03-11
The holy union of dirty rice and mac & cheese.
For the parmesan herb mix: combine all ingredients in a food processor, process until herbs are incorporated and the cheese is stained green from the parsley.
For the mac & cheese:
Heat multiple cast iron pans or dutch ovens over high heat and add an equal amount of oil. Heat until shimmering.
Add the pork and livers, smashing and spreading the meat across the surface of the pan until browned.
Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and chili powder over the surface of the meat. Stir to coat, then spread the meat across the surface of the pot.
Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes without stirring. You want the meat to stick, crackle, and form crust on the surface of the pot.
Add ½ cup of the chicken stock to deglaze. Allow the stock to cook all the way out and allow the meat to stick and crackle again.
Add the onions, celery, garlic, jalapeño, oregano, and bay leaf.
Stir to coat the vegetables with the oils, spread into a thin layer, and allow to brown, stick, and crackle again without stirring.
Add the remaining chicken stock, cooked pasta, parsley, and green onions.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle the mozzarella and gouda over the top.
Fold to incorporate the cheeses, but don’t mix completely. Allow some of the cheese to remain unmixed and un-melted to achieve that irresistible stringy cheese pull.
Serve family style or divide between serving dishes; sprinkle parmesan herb mix over the top.
- For the parmesan herb mix (2 cups):
- 6 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp. minced parsley
- 4½ tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 3 tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning mix
- For the mac & cheese:
- 3 pkgs. Barilla® Elbows, cooked according to directions
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1½ lb. ground pork
- 1½ lb. chicken livers, pureed – or substitute either raw sausage or ground beef
- 3 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. chili powder, chipotle or ancho
- 3 lb. yellow onions, finely minced
- 1½ lb. celery, finely minced
- 6 ea. jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 6 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 6 ea. bay leaf
- 9 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup minced parsley
- 3 bunches green onion, thinly sliced
- 3 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 lb. shredded smoked gouda cheese
- Parmesan herb mix, to garnish