“Carbonara” Orzo Pasta Salad with Spring Vegetables and Portobello Lardons2020-07-30
Recipe by Chef Michael Israel
Barilla Orzo Pasta, Sweet English Peas, Snow Peas, Asparagus, Portobello Mushroom “Bacon Lardons,” Basil and Mint tossed with Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette served over Whipped Parmesan Cream
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the orzo pasta, sweet English peas, snow peas, mint, basil, parmesan cheese, Portobello mushroom lardons, kosher salt and black pepper and toss to incorporate.
2. Drizzle the lemon-herb vinaigrette and toss to incorporate.
3. Evenly spread the parmesan cream onto the center of a plate forming a 5" to 6 " circle with a well in the center.
4. Place the asparagus spears in a curved bundle onto the top of the parmesan cream from 9:00 to 1:00 with the tops of the spears facing 9:00.
5. Mound the salad mixture into the well of the parmesan cream.
6. Microplane the lemon and parmesan cheese over the salad.
7. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over and around the salad.
- 3 Pounds Barilla Orzo
- 1 Pound Sweet English Peas, Shelled
- 8 oz. Sugar Snap Peas, julienned 1/8" thick
- 32 each Mint Leaves, torn into 1/2" pieces
- 32 each Basil Leaves, torn into 1/2" pieces
- 48 each Portobello Mushroom Bacon Lardons (see recipe)
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper, freshly cracked
- 16 oz. Whipped Parmesan Cream (see recipe)
- 48 each Asparagus Spears 6", blanched
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, microplaned
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chef Recommended Cuts
This information is per serving.