Casarecce with Capocollo, Red Onion and Calabrian Chilies2018-04-26
Strong flavors of Southern Italy come together in this pasta featuring Capocollo, sweet red onions and fiery Calabrian chilies.
Bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook 2 min. less than directed on package.
Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in large rondeau on medium heat. Add onions and chilies; cook 3-5 min. or until softened. Add Capocollo; cook 1-2 min. stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, passata and salt to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2-3 min. until heated through. Add pasta to sauce; toss to coat.
Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in separate skillet on medium heat. Add panko and parsley; toss 4-6 min. until golden brown. Transfer mixture to bowl; combine with cheese.
Top each serving topped with bread crumb mixture.
- 3 pounds Barilla Collezione Casarecce
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 Calabrian chilies, julienned
- 12 ounces Capocollo, julienned
- 3 quarts cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups tomato passata
- 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 6 ounces grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Chef Recommended Cuts
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.