Garden Wonder Pasta2014-09-02
Chock full of garden-fresh vegetables, this healthy dish from Ferrum College in Virginia includes fiber-rich whole-grain pasta and quinoa.
Cook the Barilla® pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking.
Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
Heat the stock to boiling and add the quinoa. Cook to al dente and spread on a sheet pan to cool.
In a large pan, heat the oil. Saute the onion, celery, and mushrooms until tender. Remove from the heat and mix in the beans, corn, jalapeno, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, cilantro, and zest. Let cool and refrigerate until needed.
For each serving, to order: Have the Calabrese sauce warm and ready. Reheat 1 cup pasta in simmering water. Add it to a pan with 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 1/2 cups vegetable mixture. Heat through, seasoning with salt and pepper.
Plate 2 Tbsp. sauce in a bowl and top with the pasta mixture. Garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
- 4 lb. Barilla Whole Grain Penne
- 3 cups uncooked quinoa
- 6 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 8 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups diced red onions
- 3 cups diced celery
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 cups rinsed cooked garbanzo beans
- 3 ears roasted, kernels cut off corn
- 3 roasted, diced jalapeño peppers
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 3 cups grape tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or lemon balm
- 3 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 cups Barilla Calabrese Sauce
- as needed salt
- as needed black pepper
- as needed shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)