Italian Pasta Salad with Sausage and Casarecce2015-09-17
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Type: Entrée, Salad, Product Line: Barilla® Collezione, Barilla® Traditional Semolina
Instead of mixing in the lettuce for this Italian salad, it is used as an edible bowl to hold the flavor-packed mixture. Spice it up with red pepper flakes if desired, and garnish with freshly shredded Parmesan.
Cook the Barilla® pasta for 1 minute less than the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the sausage; brown and cook it through. Stir in the peas and sundried tomatoes to heat through. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, mix the cold pasta with the cooked sausage mixture and the remaining ingredients. Check the seasoning and refrigerate until needed.
Serve portions in iceberg lettuce bowls.
- 5 lb. Barilla Casarecce
- 5 oz. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 lb. finely diced red onion
- 5 oz. minced garlic
- 5 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 lb. sundried tomatoes, julienned
- 2 1/4 lb. fresh or frozen peas
- 5 lb. Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 1/2 lb. diced red bell peppers
- 2 1/2 lb. diced yellow bell peppers
- 6 oz. chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 6 oz. chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 oz. chopped fresh basil
- 10 oz. balsamic dressing
- 10 oz. Italian dressing
- 10 oz. sundried tomato dressing
- Salt and pepper
- 5 heads iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Casarecce Siciliane
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.