Mnazaleh Mashup with Chickpea Casarecce2019-02-26
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Matt Harding
Mnazaleh is a Middle Eastern staple featuring warm spices, succulent braised eggplant, tomatoes and chickpeas with a mix of herbs for a pop of color and freshness.
1. Bring salted water to a boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stove top. Cook pasta as directed on package; drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup oil in large rondeaux on medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook eggplant; 3-5 min. until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove eggplant from pan with slotted spoon; transfer to clean bowl. Add remaining oil to pot on medium-low heat. Add onions and 3 cups water; simmer 15-20 min. or until onions begin to caramelize and most liquid is evaporated.
3. Deglaze pan with wine. Add garlic, tomatoes and chickpeas; simmer covered 20-25 min. or until slightly reduced.
4. Return eggplant to pot; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup parsley, sugar and spices. Simmer mixture 30 min. or until eggplant is soft and sauce is thickened. Add pasta; toss to coat.
5. Garnish with remaining parsley, cilantro, and vinegar before serving.
Chef Notes: Prepare this sauce without the garnishes up to 2 days ahead. Store covered tightly in the refrigerator.
- 3 lbs Barilla Chickpea Casarecce
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 quarts chopped eggplant, salted, rinsed, drained, patted dry
- 3 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 9 medium tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 24 ounces canned chickpeas, rinsed
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp dried mint
- 3 tbsp Harissa spice mix
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Chickpea Casarcce
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.