Thin Spaghetti with Squash, Red Chile Pesto, & Shrimp Roe Chimichurri2020-11-05
Recipe by Chef Tamara Stranger
1. Make the pesto: In a small sauce pot, heat olive oil blend and garlic cloves to a low simmer and cook until golden. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Combine garlic and oil with all other ingredients in a food processor or Vitamix and pulse until smooth. For less spice, Fresno peppers can be substituted with additional red bell peppers.
2. Make the Shrimp Roe Chimichurri: Finely chop parsley and tarragon. In a bowl combine herbs with roe, oil, and vinegar. Stir in honey and spice. Chill until ready to use.
3. Peel, deseed, and roast 2 C Blue Hubbard Squash with oil and salt, 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Finish cooking squash with oil in a hot saute pan, adding quick caramelization without softening squash.
4. Prepare Barilla Thin Spaghetti according to box directions. When Barilla Thin Spaghetti is ready, drain and add to the saute pan with squash and 1/2 C Red Pesto. Toss quickly to warm the sauce and coat the spaghetti.
Carefully twist spaghetti onto a dinner plate and dot squash with shrimp roe chimichurri, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts, and finish with leaves of Mexican Tarragon.
- For the Red Chile Pesto: 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 oz garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 Fresno Peppers, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 Tsp. Sesame oil
- 1 Tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- Salt, to taste
- For the Chimichurri: 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 bunch Mexican Tarragon (sub French Tarragon)
- 2 Tbsp. Side-stripe Shrimp Roe (sub Trout roe)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tsp. honey
- 1 Tsp. cracked black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 lb Barilla Thin Spaghetti
- Blue Hubbard Squash (sub Acorn squash)
- Pine Nuts
- Mexican Tarragon
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Thin Spaghetti