Vegan Mac & Cheese2018-01-05
- Cuisine: American, Type: Baked, Entrée, Product Line: Barilla Gluten Free, Barilla® Traditional Semolina
This vegan version of a comfort food classic with a delicious crunchy topping does not compromise on creamy, cheesy flavor.
For the Vegan Cheddar Sauce:
Heat oil and soymilk in stockpot on medium heat; bring to simmer. Add all remaining ingredients except cheese; whisk continuously 2-3 min. or until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low; slowly stir in cheese. Continue cooking until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and well blended; keep warm.
For the Mac & Cheese:
Meanwhile, bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook 2 min. less than directed on package. Add cooked pasta to stockpot with prepared Cheddar Sauce; mix to combine.
Transfer pasta mixture between two full hotel pans or portion into 24 (12 ounce) oven-proof ramekins. Cover tightly with foil and bake in 300 degrees F convection oven 20-30 min. or until done (165 degrees F).
Combine panko, oil, paprika, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Sprinkle pasta mixture evenly with panko topping. Continue baking 7-10 min. or until panko mixture is golden brown and crisp.
- For the vegan cheddar sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 quarts plain soy milk
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 pounds vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- For the mac & cheese:
- 3 pounds Barilla Elbows or Mezze Penne
- 3 quarts Vegan Cheddar Sauce
- 1/2 pound shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Chef Recommended Cuts
- Mezze Penne
This information is per serving.
Please note: for the purpose of the nutritional assessment, total sodium does not include salt added to the cooking water. When salt is listed "as needed" in the ingredient list, 1 tsp total is included in the analysis.